Having a child is one of the most precious aspects of life, and as a parent you want to be sure that you choose the absolute best pediatrician for your child. In fact, you will be seeking a pediatrician most likely before you even have any children, so be sure to take your time and find the perfect one for your family.
You can start by asking family and friends who they recommend when it comes to caring, supportive, and informational pediatricians. Personal referrals go a long way when it comes to doctors, as you can eliminate those that others have not had good experiences with.
Once you have a short list of pediatricians to choose from, begin thinking of questions you can ask them to be sure that you, your children, and the doctor is a good fit. Once you’re ready to fire off the questions, you can go ahead and call the doctor’s office and schedule a consultation with the doctors, but be sure right away that the office accepts your particular insurance.
Here are some great questions you can ask potential pediatricians:
- How long have you been a doctor practicing medicine?
- How long have you worked for this office?
- Are you board certified?
- What are your opinions on issues such as immunizations, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and potty training?
- Do you specialize in pediatrics or do you have a sub-specialty?
- What are your office hours?
- Do you have late night or weekend appointments available?
- Can I leave a message and will someone return my call? Do you have an email address that you use?
- How do you feel about antibiotics?
- Is blood work done at the office?
- Are throat cultures done at the office?
- Are x-rays done at the office?
- Who handles well-baby visits?
- Is it possible to get same-day appointments if my child is sick?
- Do you have a nurse practitioner that handles some cases?
Go ahead and take this list with you when you meet with potential doctors. Asking such questions is never a hassle and doctors normally appreciate concerned parents. You want to be sure that you get the right match for you children and feel confident that your doctor is perfect for your growing family.