We all know that soda tastes good and is refreshing, but it is vital to remember that it is not healthy. Here are several of soda’s serious drawbacks.
Soda has no nutritional value. Soda is not only high calorie, but its calories are completely empty. Therefore, soda will only serve to make you gain excess weight, and will give your body no benefit.
Sugary soda can make you obese and develop diabetes. Soda’s sky high sugar levels make it a strong contributing factor in obesity and the development of type 2 diabetes. Don’t assume that diet soda will be much better. Artificial sweeteners are not only controversial in terms of their health effects but also have been linked to increased appetite and weight difficulties.
Soda is damaging to your teeth. The sugar and carbolic acid in soda are very damaging to teeth. The sugar works with the bacteria present in your mouth to create acid that attacks your teeth. Carbolic acid also weakens tooth enamel.
Soda can deplete your bones. The presence of phosphorous and caffeine in soda cause it to contribute to the development of osteoporosis.
Soda can damage your organs. It has been demonstrated that soda consumption may contribute to development of metabolic syndrome, chronic kidney disease, and fatty liver (a liver disease).
In addition to their overtly unhealthy qualities, sodas also hurt us by making it less likely we’ll drink beneficial fluids, like water and milk.
- Water: Water cannot be improved upon! It’s free of calories, and you can get it just by turning on your tap.
- Milk: Milk is low in calories in relation to its nutrition benefit.
- Fruit juice: While fruit juice is healthy in moderation, do not go overboard. They tend to be high in sugar. It is advisable to mix your juice with some seltzer.
- Tea: Teas are high in antioxidants, and are therefore very beneficial to the body.
- Powdered drink mixes: These can be found in sugar-free versions, and do not contain the carbonation damaging to teeth.
Another great option is to cut up fruit and put it on top of a glass of water! Make sure to give your body healthy drink choices. Don’t let soda take over your life!