Why Am I Going Bald?

71
people sharing
balding man

Do you realize that you could be losing between 100 and 100,000 hairs from your head each day? I know this may be hard to believe, but it’s true.

Everyone is losing hair, but most people are actually growing hair at a fast rate as well. In fact, approximately 90% of your hair is growing all the time, while the other 10% is just relaxing in a resting phase for several months before it falls off the head. Once that hair leaves the scalp, new hair starts growing again and grows about one inch per month.

What about male hair loss?

Hair loss among men is a sore subject. Men do not like to lose their hair and it can become a depressive episode for them. Why do some men lose hair and others don’t? First, as men get older the rate of hair production slows down, so some of the hair that is lost just never gets replaced. Other things like heredity can play a part in baldness as well.

About 25% of men start to get bald spots at around 30 years of age and about 67% of men are bald or just about bald by the time they are 60 years old.

Here are some factors that play a role in male hair loss:

  • Genetics. You can blame much of baldness on genetics, as many men lost their hair due to either their mother or father’s genetic side. Male pattern baldness, or androgenetic alopecia, begins with a receding hairline and then the hair will thin around the crown. In addition to being genetically linked, the hair loss is also associated with testosterone, as hair follicles will become sensitive to the testosterone byproduct, DHT. As a result, the follicles get smaller, the life span of the hair decreases, and the hair is lost.
  • Telogen effluvium. This is a situation in which involved a shock to the resting stage of the cycle of hair growth, or telogen. A shock could include a high fever, chronic illness, various medications, not enough protein, low iron levels in the blood, or a major surgery. When this shock occurs, about 70% of the hair are lost within a couple of month of the incident due to the hair roots to be prematurely pushed into the resting phase.
  • Cicatricial alopecia. Here there is some inflammation that occurs near the hair follicles and the reason this happens is not known. The area affected may be marked by some pain or itching and can result in permanent hair loss.
  • Alopecia areata. It is thought that alopecia areata occurs due to an autoimmune disorder and due to the disorder, there are antibodies that will attack hair follicles. This can occur to little or big patches on the head and can be permanent or it can grow back, as it is cyclical in nature.

These are some factors that can play a role in male hair loss. Diet and exercise has been thought to play a role as well. If you’re losing hair at a faster rate than you’d like, go ahead and consult a healthcare professional to see if you can determine the reason for your hair loss.

71
people sharing

Want more stuff like this?

We're on a mission to spread meaningful content far and wide.
try our weekly email, and see for yourself!

By submitting above you agree to Health Breakthroughs privacy policy